Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chemo Day Distractions


Kelly had chemo today and she doesn't feel so good right now, but she actually did better during the day than usual.  We went back to running the Avastin first, and that lets her feel good for a little while.  Long enough to have some fun today! Normally she likes to stay in her own little private area, but today, she came out in the common area for some fun distractions.  I think she like keeping her mind occupied.  She did a puzzle (as you can see above- notice the bucket on her IV pole.  She is always prepared.)  Then she even tried Guitar Hero - see the photos below.  Bailey came in for chemo today too and joined her with another guitar.  It was nice to see her have a little bit of fun there, since it usually isn't a place she looks forward to coming.
Kelly with Dr. Torno, one of her oncologists.

Kelly and Bailey playing Guitar Hero 
One last helpful distraction today was Taffy, one of the therapy dogs.  
 There's that bucket again. 

One big event Kelly has coming up this weekend is the CHOC Prom for Oncology patients between 15 and 18 years old.  They hold this event every year and Kelly is looking forward to going Saturday.  One of the local bridal shops donated gowns for the girls, so Kelly got to pick one out and bring it home.  She had fun trying on dresses and found one that fit her perfectly and looks great on her.  We'll post pictures this weekend.

It is so nice that school is over and summer is here.  The girls are happy not to be getting up early every morning and having some more time to visit with their friends.  
We have been very busy getting ready for Megan and Shannon's annual dance show, which is also this Saturday.  There have been a lot of extra rehearsals and I have been helping with costumes and getting everything organized.  I'll be backstage at the show getting the kids on and off stage.  Many of you know I used to work at the dance studio until Kelly was diagnosed.  I have made taking care of her my priority this year,  and have appreciated all the time we have been able to spend together.  Even though it has been very busy, it has fun being involved in helping out again and doing something "normal."  It also gives me some more time with Megan and Shannon while Kevin has been working at home some of the time so he can stay home with Kelly while I am gone.  Except for chemo days, she is feeling good lately. 

Thanks to everyone who helped Bailey by writing to Paula Deen's show.  They have contacted Bailey's family, and while he won't get to be on her show, it sounds like he will get to meet her.  He had scans done today and we are praying for good results for him!

14 comments:

Kimmi said...

Prom sounds so fun... have a good time. luv you

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you were able to go back to her old chemo order. Good for you Kathy, for saying something!
Kelly, have a great time at the "prom"! I can't wait to see you in your beautiful dress!
Lunch again soon?!
Love Debbie Meyering

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly -
A prom!? How fun! Can't wait to see the pix!
Thanks for the update. We always like hearing how you are doing. Too bad you have to have a traveling bucket!
I LOVED the pix of you and Bailey playing guitar hero. You look great!
Lots of Love - we'll get in touch when we get back from our trip!
Love, Darla, Geoff, Sophie and Shawn :)

Gabby's Mom said...

Good morning Kelly - I heard this AM that Jordin Sparks is going to be on "So You Think You Can Dance," I think tonite. Hopefully by then since your chemo is back to an order that does not make you so sick, you will be able to watch.

I cannot wait to see pictures of your prom and hopefully some of Shannon and Megan's dance show.

I am happy to hear that Bailey will get to meet Paula Deen!

Happy Prom!
Hugs,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
Glad to hear that you had a better chemo day. Prom sounds like fun! Hope you enjoy it. Tell Megan and Shannon good luck this week-end too. We'll get to Lake George on July 20th. We always think of all of you when we're there. We've had some fun times there with you!
Love,
Allison, Sharon and the rest of the family

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,

Jammin' with Bailey, hangin' out with Taffy, a prom with a way cool dress? You got yourself some kind of health resort and day spa there, kid. If it weren't for the ubiquitous bucket, it would be just about perfect.

I'll look forward to the prom pix. Do you have a date? He'd better be nice, or I'll use my blackthorn cane on him. The thorns are about 3/4 of an inch long, and they're wicked. My Mom brought it back from Ireland for me before 9/11. I don't think I'd get it through airport security today, but if I put it in checked luggage, I bet it would go through.

Happy dancing to your sisters.

Henry

Tracy said...

Hi Kelly & Kath,
It's good to hear you felt a little better during chemo so you could enjoy some of the fun things in the new infusion center! It looks great - and no matter what you have to go through you always look great doing it! I hope the recovery side of it is better this time too! I can't wait to see all of you soon!

So glad Bailey gets to meet Paula Deen!! I think I should actually say Paula Deen is really lucky to get to meet Bailey!

We'll be thinking of Meagan and Shannon on recital night! Hope all the preparations are going well!

Love & Hugs,
Aunt Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly & Family,

Glad to hear things are going pretty well for you all. I can't wait to see the pictures of the Prom! How fun!! We are up in Portland now...Chloe is back in at CHOC on the 8th for chemo. It will be her second to last appointment there. :(

Miss you guys, Karla & Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly I hope you are feeling well now. The prom sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see the pictures. Please know that I am thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, it's good to see you at the studio again. Seems like normal and that's probably good for everyone involved.

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am so excited to go to this Saturday's prom. I am glad that you are coming. I can't wait to see your dress. I picked out my shoes for mine today. Please let me know how Bailey's scans come out. I am glad that he gets to meet Paula. I will see you tomorrow!!!! :)
Katie

Aunt Jenny & Uncle Bob, Kylie and Ryan ie & Ryan said...

Hi Kelly,
Glad you had a lot of fun distractions on Wednesday! Bet you and Bailey are pretty good on that Guitar Hero! So glad to hear Bailey will be able to meet Paula Deen and better yet that his scans were clear!

Can't wait to hear about your Prom and the Dance Recital! We'll just have to wait to hear all about it in person--guess we can wait one day!!! We're excited to see all of you very soon!!!

Love,
Aunt Jenny, Uncle Bob, Kylie and Ryan

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,

I hope you had a really great time at Prom. Can't wait to see some pics.....

So glad to read that your little friend may get to meet Paula Deen.

I will continue my prayers for your total healing.........

Hugs,
Veronica/Angel_wings

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,

I hope your prom was a huge success and I hope your summer vacation is progressing nicely.

I'll look forward to pictures.

Take care,
Henry