Friday, August 8, 2008

Make A Wish

We just returned last night from Kelly's Make A Wish Trip.  We had a wonderful Disney Cruise to the Bahamas. We did some amazing things that we'll always remember.  There are a lot of photos we'd like to share, so I'll see how many I can fit on one post.  Hopefully I'll make a webpage on our photo website within a couple days, then I'll put the link here. Remember you can click on the photos to enlarge them.

The girls dressed up for dinner.  Notice Kelly and Shannon's hair - they had it braided on the ship.  It was a nice way to keep it out of their way during the trip.  They both still have their braids and it still looks good.

Kelly in front of the girls' stateroom.  Thanks for the door decorations Debbie!  It helped Shannon find the room when she came down herself!

The Disney Wonder docked at their private Island, Castaway Cay.  The other ship is the Flying Dutchman, used in the filming of the Pirates of the Caribbean.



Kelly couldn't wait to read her new book, Breaking  Dawn.  So she read on the beach until she was done! Notice all the empty chairs around her because we were all snorkeling.  Luckily she finished it the first morning so she didn't spend the whole cruise reading!  Thanks for bringing it to her Jen!  We also took a boat trip from Castaway Cay to a nearby reef for snorkeling.  It was beautiful with a lot of coral and colorful fish.  Kevin and Shannon and I took a bike ride around the island, which was a good way to see it.

Megan and Shannon relaxing on the beach on Castaway Cay.

One of the big highlights, and a big part of Kelly's Wish, was swimming with Dolphins while we were in the Bahamas.   She is getting a kiss from Andy, who played Flipper in the movie.


Parasailing was another favorite activity at Castaway Cay.  Kevin and Kelly rode tandem.
Megan and Shannon rode together (below) 


Coming home was hard, but being met at the airport by a limosine made it much more fun!  I have many more pictures I want to share, so hopefully I'll have a link to them soon.  Thanks so much to the Make A Wish Foundation for giving Kelly and our family a wonderful trip, a nice break from doctors and treatments, and memories that will last a lifetime.

Next week, we really get back to our real life.  Kelly has her next MRI on Tuesday and chemo on Wednesday.  We pray her MRI results will be good.  The trip was a good distraction from thinking about these things like MRIs and chemo, but now the reality of it is coming back.  MRIs are always nervewracking as we await to see if her scans will remain clear, since we know glioblastoma can recur any time (as it already has once.)  That is why she is still on a regular chemo schedule.  We thank all of you who have been with us and supportive through this journey, even if it is just good thoughts and prayers for Kelly.  That is what she needs most and we all really appreciate it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!
It sounds like you all had an amazing time!! I love Castaway Cay!
We have never been Parasailing, or swimming with the dolphins, so now you guys are the experts on cruising Disney style! Don't they do an amazing job?!! Did you catch any shows? we will have to plan a get together before summer is over. We are headed to Yosemite this next week, but will call you when we get back. Love Debbie Meyering

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing trip. Glad you all had a blast. You certainl deserve it! Love the hairdo! I'll be praying for beautiful scans!
Anna (Hannah's mom)
cp: hannahtimes

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly and Family,
What a wonderful family get away! I'm so glad you all had a nice vacation (especially Kelly - no buckets!) Kathy - where is the picture of you parasailing? My favorite picture is Kelly being kissed by the dolphin! I don't think I've seen a happier Kelly.
Thanks for sharing your memories. Can't wait to hear the good news after the MRI. Looking forward to more vacation pictures too!
Love you all! Darla, Geoff, Sophie and Shawn :)

Gabby's Mom said...

you all look radiant and the hair is great! So happy you had a wonderful time. I am certain Tuesday and Wednesday will go great this week and cannot wait to hear more great news. Y'all have had a great summer and thanks for sharing that with us Kathy - the updates and pictures have been wonderful.

Hugs,
pat

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! Glad you all had a wonderful time...a much deserved break from reality!!
Love and prayers for all the upcoming events,

The Diemer's

Tracy said...

Welcome home! It looks like you had a wonderful time! Your photos sure show that very well - can't wait to see more! What incredible memories you will have of this summer!

We'll all be praying for another one of those beautiful clear MRI's for Kelly!

Love you all!
Aunt Tracy
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Island Hoppers!
So happy to read of all of your wonderful well deserved journeys. Of course you are all in our prayers. We will be praying especially hard on Wednesday! Keeping smiling and enjoy each other before school starts and the craziness begins again!!
love
The Nicolosi Family

Anonymous said...

Your trip looks sooo fun. I'm glad you had a good time. I haven't seen you guys in such a long time (and I won't be at dance again until next thursday because my cousins are in town). I miss you!!I'll be praying for another clear MRI!
<3 Amis

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am so glad that you and your family had a nice vacation. You absolutely deserve one. I am totally jealous that you got to go parasailing! And you looked like you had a blast with the dolphins. I have wanted to try that for a long time. I am praying for clear results on your next MRI. I am certain that Tuesday and Wednesday will end in more good news. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. We should get together again soon.
Katie

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,

What a lovely cruise. Seeing you with the dolphin brought back fond memories for me. There used to be a TV show of Flipper. Fergus would hear the theme music and he would lie down in the middle of the living room, where he could watch the show. When the commercials came on, he'd go to the kitchen and get a drink. As soon as the show was over, he'd go outside. "Lassie" was on the same night, but Fergus didn't care a fig about Lassie. Flipper was his absolute favorite.

Good thoughts go with you for your MRI, and I hope you've got the bartenders sraightened out at the infusion center.

Henry

Anonymous said...

Hey Laudes,
Welcome back to Cali, although I am sure you would rather be on vacation still! The pictures were great! Can't wait to see more fun adventures. Keep the pictures coming....

I hope next Tuesday and Wednesday will be very GOOD days. I am praying for another clear MRI and hopefully a "no bucket zone day!" We leave on Wednesday to drive to Portland to see family, but I will be praying for you! Take care, all of you.....
Sent with Love and Prayers,
Patty J.

Catalina Eddy said...

Hey Kelly,
What an excellent adventure. Thank you for helping me be brave and not whimper like a whipped puppy during the parasailing.
Was that dolphin a better kisser than me? Bet he had fishy breath.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly and family. It looks like you had an amazing trip and I'm so jealous! I am trying to convince one of my friends to take a Disney cruise when she graduates from grad school... haha, never too old for Disney. =) I'm glad you all had such a good time.

Kim Prokop said...

Welcome back world travelers! You all sure have been busy lately all over the country. Your pictures are wonderful, wasn't swimming with the dolphins the best? That surely is something you will always remember.
We'll be remembering you this week on MRI day, hoping for all good!
Love from your NY friends,
Kim and team Hannah
www.hannahpro.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing all of the photos with me Friday evening. You have some great photos and even more great memories.

My thoughts will be with you on Tuesday. Let me know, as usual, if I can help.

Jacquie